Emergency Information
Have an Emergency?

Smell gas or have a power outage?

Please call us at


9 Tips to Be Safe and “Winter Wise” During Cold Weather

30 Jan 2018

As the cold weather continues and more snow blankets our region, UGI encourages our customers and residents of the communities we serve to follow these tips to stay warm and help ensure safe and reliable energy service:

  • UGI adds an odorant, which smells like rotten eggs, to natural gas to help you detect a gas leak. If you smell an odor of rotten eggs, it’s important to leave the building immediately. Leave the door open, and once clear of the area call UGI from your cell phone or neighbor’s home. UGI’s emergency response number is 1-800-276-2722 and UGI emergency responders are available 24-hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • Check your outdoor gas meter, gas piping and appliance vents regularly to ensure they are clear of snow and ice. Avoid using a shovel, plow or snow blower near gas equipment. Never use salt, hot water or ice melting chemicals to remove snow or ice from your meter or associated pipes. Repair leaky downspouts to prevent water from dripping on your gas meter or vents. If your meter is near a sidewalk or driveway, make sure it is visible to snowplow drivers.
  • In extreme cold weather, your heating unit may have difficulty maintaining the temperature set on your thermostat based on the system capacity and other factors. However, if your equipment is not functioning properly, consider contacting your heating contractor.
  • Remember that an electric power outage will affect blowers and newer natural-gas fired heaters with electronic ignitions. If your gas heater does not relight when the power returns, turn the unit off for a moment, then back on. If it still does not light, call a qualified HVAC professional for service.
  • Never use a generator, grill, portable/camping stove or other fossil fuel burning device inside a home, garage or other enclosed area. Never heat a home with an oven if your electricity goes out.
  • If you are using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to prevent sparks and rolling logs from contacting any room furnishings.
  • Always turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed. Using secondary heating sources, such as space heaters, can increase the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning.

For more information on these and other safety-related topics, visit us online at www.ugi.com/safety.