Look Up and Live: Be Aware of Overhead Power Lines
18 Oct 2018
As the colder weather sets in and the leaves continue falling from the trees, it is important to be aware of overhead power lines. These lines provide electric service at various voltages to our homes, and as you begin to clean leaves out of gutters, we remind you to “look up and live” when working around or near power lines.
- Keep ladders, tools, and equipment at least 10 feet away from any wires to avoid the potential for power outages, fire, and serious injury.
- Know where power lines are at all times. If you are working on your roof or rain gutters, keep all items away from any wires. Greater distances are required for higher voltage transmission lines.
- Proceed with caution when operating scissor lifts or building scaffolding near power lines.
- Keep any holiday items, such as lights or inflatable decorations, away from overhead electric lines.
- If something is caught in a power line, contact UGI immediately at 800-276-2722 to report the problem. Never attempt to retrieve anything that is on or near a power line.
To learn more about electrical safety, visit www.ugi.com/electric-safety