Natural Gas Meter Safety for Fall
15 Sep 2020
The fall season brings cooler temperatures and falling leaves. You may be re-imagining your outdoor living space with fall-themed décor, or preparing for Halloween next month with fun decorations.
As you begin decorating, be sure to steer clear of your natural gas meter with the following tips:
- UGI personnel must be able to easily access your meter to perform meter readings, periodic safety checks, and routine maintenance, as well as manage critical tasks in an emergency.
- Keep your meter clear of any landscaping that obstructs access or visibility. Trim any plants or shrubs near the meter.
- Keep the area surrounding the meter clear and do not hang anything on the meter. That means no pumpkins, fake cobwebs, or any other fall decorations.
- Do not build decking or fencing that blocks access to the meter.
- Instruct children not to play near the meter or on utility piping.
- Do not tamper with your meter or attempt to service or maintain the meter yourself.
- If snow and ice decide to make an early appearance this fall, carefully clear ice and snow from the meter by hand using a shovel or broom. Never use a snow blower or plow.
- If you’re planning on doing any digging before the ground freezes, no matter how minor, Pennsylvania law requires a call to 811 at least 3 business days prior to have your utility lines marked.
Remember, if you damage your meter or smell gas at any time, leave the area immediately and call UGI at 1-800-276-2722. For more information on our commitment to safety, visit https://www.ugi.com/natural-gas-safety/. See our values in action on our Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.