Tips to Gobble Up This Thanksgiving
23 Nov 2020
Thanksgiving may look a little different this year for families – there may be fewer people in your home, or perhaps your travel plans were canceled. No matter how you give thanks this year, UGI recommends the following tips to keep your family safe and reduce your energy usage.
- Have your furnace, water heater, and any other fuelburning appliances serviced by a qualified technician.
- This will help protect you from carbon monoxide, an odorless, tasteless, colorless, toxic gas produced by incomplete burning of fuels.
- If you’re cooking, remain in your home and stay alert. Make sure all smoke alarms are working properly prior to cooking.
- Keep children away from the stove and make sure items on the counter are away from the edges, such as knives or hot liquids.
- Keep the floor clean and dry to avoid any slips and falls.
- If you’re having guests at your house, lower the thermostat before they arrive. More bodies will produce more heat!
- Check the refrigerator and freezer doors to make sure they seal tightly. This will keep the cold air in and the warm air out. Plan ahead and remove all ingredients at one time to eliminate frequently opening the doors and letting out cold air.
- Clean dishes using the dishwasher instead of hand washing. Open the dishwasher door to air dry instead of using the heated dry cycle.
For more information, visit www.ugi.com.