Emergency
×

Smell gas or have a power outage?

Please call

(800)-276-2722
Search

Gas Safety Do’s & Don’ts

Enjoy Natural Gas Safely
Natural Gas Safety > Gas Safety Do’s & Don’ts

Call UGI at 800-276-2722 from a safe location immediately if you damage your meter or smell or hear natural gas.
Remember, there is no charge to respond to and investigate a natural gas odor.

DO leave the building immediately. Take everyone with you (including pets) and leave the exit door open if possible.

DO proceed to a safe location where you can no longer smell the odor of gas.

DO call UGI’s gas emergency line from a safe location. The gas emergency line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Customers should call 800-276-2722.

DO call 911 from a safe location outside of the building if you hear or see natural gas blowing.

DO call UGI’s gas emergency line from a safe location, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you smell or detect natural gas outside or near a meter.

DO call 911 from a location outside of the building if you hear or see natural gas blowing.

DO NOT re-enter the building to open doors and windows.

DO NOT use phones (standard or cellular), computers, appliances, elevators, lamps, garage door openers, or electrical devices inside the building if a smell of gas is present.

DO NOT touch electrical outlets, switches or doorbells.

DO NOT smoke or use a lighter, match or other open flame.

DO NOT position or operate vehicles or powered equipment where leaking gas may be present.

DO NOT try to re-light a pilot light.

DO NOT e-mail us or post on social media if you smell gas or suspect a natural gas leak, PLEASE CALL UGI OR 911.

DO NOT re-enter the home or building until it has been thoroughly inspected by our service technician.