Public Service Announcement – Potential Power Outages
26 Oct 2012
Wilkes-Barre, PA (October 26, 2012, 10:00 a.m.) – Current weather predictions indicate Hurricane Sandy has the potential to impact the UGI Electric Division service area as early as Monday evening, October 29. Hurricane Sandy could potentially bring high winds and significant amounts of rainfall that may lead to flooding. These conditions may result in downed power lines and potential electric power outages. UGI has mobilized its Storm Response Team and is prepared to respond to storm-related service outages.
Should you experience a power outage, please call UGI at 800-276-2722.
If you depend on medical equipment for life-support, we recommend that you purchase a back-up power supply or arrange to stay with family or friends.
If you are a residential customer with special needs and have an emergency, please contact your regional 911 center. Special needs customers calling UGI to report an outage should identify themselves to the customer service representative. UGI can provide information to assist you in connecting to your local 911 center.
If you use a generator during an outage, please make sure it is used safely by following the manufacturer’s instructions on proper venting and operation.
UGI also recommends customers prepare for an emergency by creating an emergency outage kit, including the following items:
- Flashlights and fresh batteries (use battery powered flashlights and lanterns rather than candles to minimize the risk of fire)
- battery-powered radio or television and extra batteries
- land line phone with cord (Cordless phones require electricity to operate)
- battery-powered or windup alarm clock; a supply of bottled water (one gallon per person per day)
- non-perishable foods that require no heating
- hand-operated can opener
- blankets, bedding, or sleeping bags and a change of clothes
- First Aid Kit and prescription medications
- special items for infants, the elderly or family members with special needs
- pet supplies
- extra set of car keys and house keys
- Emergency Services and UGI telephone numbers.
UGI will be fully staffed to deal with any power outages as quickly as possible, and is closely monitoring, planning and preparing for a potential outage situation.
Additional updates will be available on an ongoing basis at www.ugi.com/outages; on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ugiutilities; Twitter at www.twitter.com/ugi_utilities. For those who do not have Internet access, updates and news will also be provided to local media outlets, including newspapers and radio. If you would like to sign up to receive e-mail messages regarding power outages and restoration updates, please go to www.ugi.com/outages and click on “UGI Electric Customers” under “Sign up for Outage Updates via E-mail.” Next, enter your name and e-mail, and click submit. Please note: Customers and non-customers alike can use this service.
UGI Utilities – Electric Division serves 62,000 customers in portions of Luzerne and Wyoming counties. Additional information about UGI’s Electric Division is available online at www.ugi.com.