PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT – PREDICTED SEVERE WEATHER COULD CAUSE POWER OUTAGES
17 Jun 2014
Wilkes-Barre (June 17, 2014) – Weather predictions for this evening call for high winds and possibly hail, which could result in downed power lines and potential electric power outages.
Customers who experience a service interruption should call UGI at 800-276-2722 to report the power outage.
UGI also recommends customers with special needs make appropriate arrangements, including:
- If you depend on medical equipment for life-support, UGI recommends that you check your back-up power supply or arrange to stay with family or friends.
- If you use a generator during an outage, please make sure it is used safely by following the manufacturer’s instructions on proper venting and operation.
UGI also recommends customers prepare for an electric outage by creating an emergency outage kit, including the following items:
- Flashlights and fresh batteries (use battery powered flashlights and lanterns rather than candles to minimize the risk of fire);
- Battery-powered radio or television and extra batteries; land line phone with cord (Cordless phones require electricity to operate);
- Battery-powered or windup alarm clock; a supply of bottled water (one gallon per person per day);
- Non-perishable foods that require no heating;
- Hand-operated can opener, blankets, bedding, or sleeping bags and a change of clothes;
- First Aid Kit and prescription medications;
- Special items for infants, the elderly or family members with special needs; pet supplies;
- Extra set of car keys and house keys;
- Emergency Services and UGI telephone numbers.
UGI will be staffed to deal with power outages as quickly as possible.
Additional information on electric outages can be found at www.ugi.com/outages.
UGI Utilities – Electric Division serves 62,000 customers in portions of Luzerne and Wyoming counties.
# # #