Statement of UGI PNG Regarding Natural Gas Incident in Dunmore
04 Dec 2014
READING, PA – December 4, 2014 – UGI Penn Natural Gas (UGI PNG) is responding to an incident that occurred this morning near the intersection of Smith and Laurel Streets in Dunmore, PA.
UGI PNG was notified of an odor of natural gas at Smith and Laurel Streets at 2:23 AM. Company first-responders were at the scene by 2:50AM, and began coordinating with fire department personnel at the scene. Evacuation of residents began immediately.
At approximately 3:50AM an explosion occurred at a house located at 413 Smith Street. The explosion also caused a fire at a second property on Smith Street. UGI PNG is aware that one fatality has been reported associated with the incident.
UGI PNG expresses its deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the individual who died in this incident.
UGI PNG provided formal notification of the incident to the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (PUC). UGI PNG is cooperating with the PUC and the State Fire Marshall in an investigation of the incident.
UGI PNG will commence repairs and will work in a phased manner to restore service to the approximately 80 customers whose service was interrupted by this incident. UGI will provide additional information as it becomes available.
UGI Utilities, Inc. is a natural gas and electric utility company that serves approximately 660,000 customers. General information about UGI Utilities is available at www.ugi.com on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ugiutilities or Twitter: www.twitter.com/ugi_utilities.
# # # #