UGI Announces Berwick Infrastructure Project
29 Mar 2021
UGI Utilities, Inc. will begin a natural gas main replacement project in Berwick and a section of Salem Township starting April 5, 2021. This project is part of the Company’s multi-year infrastructure betterment initiative.
The natural gas main replacement project will take place on the following streets:
- East and West 9th Street, from Oak Street to Butternut Street;
- East 8th Street, from Pine Street to Central Avenue;
- A portion of East 7th Street between Chestnut Street and Walnut Street;
- East 6th Street, from Chestnut Street to Fowler Avenue;
- Pine Street, from East 9th Street to East 7th Street;
- Chestnut Street, from East 9th street to East 6th Street;
- Walnut Street from East 9th Street to East 6th Street;
- Butternut Street from East 9th Street to East 6th Street;
- Fowler Avenue from East 5 ½ Street to East 8th
More than 8,600 feet of non-contemporary main will be replaced. This project will also renew gas service lines to approximately 220 homes and businesses.
Construction hours will take place from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. During construction, residents will experience road closures, traffic delays, and some detours. Parking also will be restricted on those blocks during construction hours. Motorists are urged to find alternate routes if possible.
Flaggers will direct traffic during construction. UGI will provide access for emergency vehicles and school buses through the construction zone as needed.
The project is expected to be completed by early August.
“UGI recognizes area residents will be inconvenienced during this project. We will work to complete construction in a timely manner,” Tim Angstadt, Vice President of Operations, said. “This project is part of UGI’s continuing commitment to provide safe and reliable natural gas service to our customers and our communities. We appreciate the community’s patience and understanding as we make this long-term system improvement. We also thank officials from Berwick and Salem Township for their cooperation and assistance in the planning and execution of this project.”
UGI Utilities, Inc. is a natural gas and electric utility company that serves more than 730,000 customers. Additional information about UGI Utilities, Inc. is available at www.ugi.com. Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ugiutilities or Twitter: www.twitter.com/ugi_utilities.