Reading, PA – With the weather turning cooler, many residents are turning on their heating units for the first time this fall. UGI urges consumers who use fuel-burning heating systems to take proper precautions and ensure their units are in proper working order to prevent a malfunction that could spread Carbon Monoxide (CO) through the customer’s home, especially if the unit has not recently been serviced.
Carbon Monoxide safety is particularly important during the winter when homes are closed tightly. Carbon monoxide CO is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that results from the incomplete burning of fuels such as wood, charcoal, gasoline, kerosene, oil, natural gas or propane.
Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. Signs within a home that an appliance may be malfunctioning and producing CO include:
Fresh air and prompt medical attention are important if you are experiencing any symptoms of CO poisoning. To prevent CO poisoning, you should:
UGI Utilities’ headquarters is located in Reading, Pennsylvania. The utility serves more than 635,000 natural gas and electric customers in eastern and central Pennsylvania. Additional information about UGI is available at www.ugi.com.