Reading, PA – As we enter the first week of fall, UGI strongly urges consumers who use fuel-burning heating systems to take proper precautions to prevent Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. A malfunctioning heating unit or other fuel-burning appliance can spread CO through your home, especially if the appliance has not recently been serviced.
In addition to fuel burning appliances, common sources of CO include blocked and improperly lined chimneys; unvented space heaters; and indoor use of a charcoal barbeque grill.
Carbon Monoxide safety is particularly important as outside temperatures drop and homes are closed tightly. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that results from the incomplete burning of fuels such as wood, charcoal, gasoline, kerosene, oil, natural gas or propane.
Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. Signs within a home that an appliance may be malfunctioning and producing CO include:
Condensation on walls and windows
CO poisoning can be fatal. Individuals who think they might be experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning should immediately seek fresh air and prompt medical attention. To prevent CO poisoning, you should:
Make sure appliances are installed by a qualified technician and operated according to the manufacturer’s instructions and local building codes.
UGI Utilities’ headquarters is located in Reading, Pennsylvania. The utility serves more than 648,000 natural gas and electric customers in eastern and central Pennsylvania. Additional information about UGI is available at www.ugi.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ugiutilities or Twitter at www.twitter.com/ugi_utilities.