Reading, PA – With widespread electric power outages, reports are surfacing that some residents are using fuel-burning ovens, ranges and other appliances to heat their homes. UGI strongly advises customers that this is a dangerous practice that can spread Carbon Monoxide (CO) through your home.
Common sources of CO include unvented, fuel-burning space heaters (especially if malfunctioning) and indoor use of a charcoal barbeque grill. CO is produced by natural gas stoves and ranges and can become a problem with prolonged, improper operation — for example, if these appliances are used to heat the home.
Carbon Monoxide safety is particularly important when homes are closed tightly. Carbon monoxide CO is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that results from the incomplete burning of fuels such as wood, charcoal, gasoline, kerosene, oil, natural gas or propane.
Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. Signs within a home that an appliance may be malfunctioning and producing CO include:
CO poisoning can be fatal. Fresh air and prompt medical attention are important if you are experiencing any symptoms of CO poisoning. To prevent CO poisoning, you should:
UGI Utilities’ headquarters is located in Reading, Pennsylvania. The utility serves more than 630,000 natural gas and electric customers in eastern and central Pennsylvania. Additional information about UGI is available at www.ugi.com.