Due to an equipment failure at a regulator station, UGI is currently experiencing an outage of approximately 125 customers in the Wilkes-Barre area. Affected homes in the area are located on the following streets:
• Griffith Lane
• Airy Street
• Harkins Lane
• Lloyds Lane
• Stanton Street (from High to Park).
UGI is working as quickly as possible to resolve the situation and restore service. UGI customers who smell gas should immediately call UGI at 1-800-276-2722.
In order to complete repairs and restore service to affected customers, UGI will turn off natural gas service at each affected property. In cases where there is an outdoor meter or service valve, UGI will shut off natural gas at that point. If UGI needs to enter a home to shut off natural gas and the homeowner is not present, UGI personnel are being assisted by fire, police and other emergency personnel.
In certain cases, UGI will also check appliances inside homes. UGI will work with those customers affected by this incident to provide temporary heat as needed.
Once natural gas service is restored, UGI will need to enter all affected homes to turn on natural gas service, check and re-light appliances. Under no circumstances should a customer attempt to turn their natural gas service back on their own.
Additional updates will be provided on the service restoration effort.
Customers need to be aware that someone must be home for UGI to restore natural gas service to their residence. UGI service crews will be in the area and going door-to-door in the community to restore service to customers. Customers can call UGI at 1-800-276-2722 for additional information.