UGI Utilities congratulates Representative Mike Regan (R-York) for sponsoring a resolution designating the week of June 8-12, 2015 as “Utility Imposter Awareness Week.” The event reminds residents they should check for proper identification before leaving utility employees into their homes.
As part of this Awareness Week, UGI reminds customers to protect themselves and their property against individuals who may be posing as UGI employees.
UGI wants customers to feel secure when a company representative visits their home or business to perform utility services. To help prevent imposters from gaining access to customers’ homes, UGI urges customers to keep the following safety information in mind:
- UGI does not routinely do any work unannounced late in the evening except for a customer-requested appointment or legitimate gas emergency. UGI does not do meter reading work late in the evening.
- Legitimate UGI meter readers, inspectors, collectors and service representatives routinely wear blue uniforms with a UGI logo and drive marked, numbered vehicles.
- Most service work is performed on a pre-scheduled basis, with the exception of leak and corrosion surveys.
- Meter reading is performed on a scheduled date, as noted on your monthly bill, typically within the hours of 7am and 5pm.
- Ask to see proper identification before allowing anyone entrance to your home. Employees are required to carry photo ID cards. Customers are encouraged to closely inspect the identification provided by the worker. UGI Utilities’ identification badge displays the UGI logo, along with the employee’s photo and information. If you are suspicious about a person’s ID or activities, do not allow that person into your home and call UGI immediately at 800-276-2722 so that we can verify the visit.
UGI Utilities is a natural gas and electric utility with headquarters in Reading, Pennsylvania. UGI serves 670,000 customers in 45 Pennsylvania counties and one county in Maryland. Customers and community members are invited to visit the UGI website at www.ugi.com; our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ugiutilities; or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ugi_utilities.
# # #