Emergency Information
Have an Emergency?

Smell gas or have a power outage?

Please call us at


UGI Provides Tips to Customers and Community Residents to Stay Safe and Warm During this Week’s Predicted Storm

24 Mar 2014

Another blast of cold and snowy weather is predicted for our region this week.  UGI offers the following tips to help ensure home heating equipment works reliably and safely during inclement weather:

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide safety is particularly important during cold weather when homes are closed tightly. Carbon monoxide CO is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that results from the incomplete burning of fuels such as wood, charcoal, gasoline, kerosene, oil, natural gas or propane.

Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. Signs within a home that an appliance may be malfunctioning and producing CO include:

• Condensation on walls and windows
• House plants dying
• House pets becoming sluggish
• Chronic odors from a malfunctioning appliance
• Those living in the home are suffering from flu-like symptoms or are unusually tired.

CO poisoning can be fatal. Here is important information customers need to know:

Fresh air and prompt medical attention are important if you are experiencing any
symptoms of CO poisoning. To prevent CO poisoning, you should:

•  Confirm appropriate level of ventilation and air circulation for safe operation, particularly if you have made modifications to your home that reduced air flow near appliances.

• Install a CO detector/alarm on each floor of a home, especially near every separate sleeping area.  CO detectors have a limited operating life.  Check the manufacturer’s instruction for related information and replacement considerations.

• Change or clean furnace filters regularly.

• Keep interior and exterior air vents clear of blockages. Always clear snow and ice from the outside vents for your furnace or other natural gas appliances.  This allows air flow necessary for safe operation. Blocked vents can lead to a dangerous build-up of carbon monoxide.

If You Smell Gas

Be aware that a harmless odor, which smells like sulfur or rotten eggs, is added to natural gas to help you detect a gas leak.  If you smell a strong natural gas odor leave the building immediately, taking everyone with you. Do not use the phone, light a match, or switch anything on or off, including your cell phone or a flashlight.

Leave the door open behind you, and once outside and clear from the building, call UGI from your cell phone or neighbor’s home.

UGI’s emergency response number is 1-800-276-2722 (or 1-800-652-0550 for UGI Central Penn Gas customers).  UGI will send a service technician to investigate the odor immediately.   Emergency response is available 24-hours a day, every day.   Your safety is always our top priority.

UGI Utilities has headquarters in Reading, Pennsylvania and serves 660,000 customers in 45 Pennsylvania counties and one county in Maryland.  Customers interested in additional information visit the UGI website at www.ugi.com; on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ugiutilities; Twitter at www.twitter.com/ugi_utilities.

# # #