UGI Reminds Customers That Company Employees Wear Uniform Clothing and Carry Picture ID
17 Aug 2016
UGI currently has a number of employees working in communities across its service territory on a variety of construction and maintenance projects. Some of these projects will require UGI crew members to access homes or businesses to complete this work.
UGI reminds customers to always check for proper identification before allowing an individual into their home. All UGI employees wear Company-issued clothing and carry photo ID cards that display the company logo along with the employee’s photo and employee number. UGI employees are happy to show consumers their ID badges upon request.
To help prevent imposters from gaining access to customers’ homes, UGI urges customers to keep the following safety information in mind:
- UGI does not routinely do any work unannounced late in the evening except for a customer-requested appointment or legitimate gas emergency. UGI does not do meter reading work late in the evening.
- If UGI needs to gain access to your home for work related to a local infrastructure project, the homeowner should have received advance notification by a letter or door hanger.
- Legitimate UGI meter readers, inspectors, collectors and service representatives routinely wear blue uniforms with a UGI logo and drive marked, numbered vehicles.
- Most service work is performed on a pre-scheduled basis, with the exception of leak and corrosion surveys.
- Meter reading is performed on a scheduled date, as noted on your monthly bill, typically within the hours of 7am and 5pm.
- Once again, always ask to see proper identification before allowing anyone entrance to your home. If you are suspicious about a person’s ID or activities, do not allow that person into your home and call UGI immediately so that we can verify the visit.
If you ever have any question about whether a visit, phone call or email from UGI was legitimate, please contact UGI at (800) 276-2722 (UGI Central Penn Gas customers should call (800) 652-0550).
UGI Utilities is a natural gas and electric utility with headquarters in Reading, Pennsylvania. UGI serves 680,000 customers in 45 Pennsylvania counties and one county in Maryland. Customers and community members are invited to visit the UGI website at www.ugi.com; our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ugiutilities; or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ugi_utilities.