UGI Warns Customers of Possible Scam
22 Aug 2018
UGI has received a number of reports from the greater Pottsville area of individuals identifying themselves as a “UGI dispatcher” attempting to gain access to flood-damaged homes. This is not a UGI employee and UGI reminds energy consumers to protect themselves and their property against imposters.
UGI urges customers to follow these tips to ensure their safety:
- Residents are reminded they should always check for proper identification before allowing an unknown individual into their home. All UGI employees carry photo ID cards that display the company logo along with the employee’s photo, name and employee number. UGI employees are happy to show consumers their ID badges upon request. Residents may also contact the UGI Call Center at 1-800-276-2722, to verify the identity of the employee.
- UGI does not routinely do any work unannounced late in the evening except for a customer-requested appointment or legitimate gas emergency. UGI does not do meter reading work late in the evening.
- Legitimate UGI meter readers, inspectors, collectors and service representatives routinely wear blue uniforms with a UGI logo and drive marked, numbered vehicles.
- Most service work is performed on a pre-scheduled basis, with the exception of leak and corrosion surveys.
- Meter reading is performed on a scheduled date, as noted on your monthly bill, typically within the hours of 7am and 5pm.
- Always ask to see proper identification before allowing anyone entrance to your home. If you are suspicious about a person’s ID or activities, do not allow that person into your home and call UGI immediately so that we can verify the visit.
If you ever have any question about whether a visit, phone call or email from UGI was legitimate, please contact UGI at (800) 276-2722.
UGI Utilities is a natural gas and electric utility with headquarters in Reading, Pennsylvania. UGI serves 700,000 customers in 45 Pennsylvania counties and one county in Maryland. Customers and community members are invited to visit the UGI website at www.ugi.com; our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ugiutilities; or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ugi_utilities.