UGI is working to repair a natural gas main and restore service to Wilkes- Barre customers in the Stanton street area.
Earlier today, UGI was performing a leak repair on its facilities on Stanton Street when an accident occurred damaging a pipe. Following the incident, natural gas service to the Stanton Street area was shut down. The damaged pipeline was vented in preparation for repairs. Residents affected by the incident have been evacuated to the South Fire station, which is located at 313 High Street. During the early stages of the repair effort, two UGI employees were injured. The two UGI employees were taken to the hospital, were treated and have now been released.
Electric service has also been shut off in the incident area as a safety precaution. UGI customers outside the incident area affected by the electric power shut off should know they still have gas service, but due to lack of electric power for ignition, appliances might not operate at this time. Once electric power is restored to these customers, their appliances should operate.
UGI crews will work through the remainder of the day and into the evening to make repairs and restore service to the area.
UGI reminds customers in the affected area that Company crews will need to gain access to affected homes to restore natural gas service. Customers who cannot be home and need to communicate special access instructions to UGI, are asked to call UGI’s Call Center at 1-800-276-2722.
UGI also reminds customers within the incident area that under no circumstances should they attempt to turn on their natural gas service on their own. Customers are reminded that if they smell gas they should immediately leave the building and call UGI at 1-800-276-2722 from a safe location.
UGI is sorry for the inconvenience caused by this latest incident. We thank all affected customers for their continuing patience and understanding as the Company works to restore service.