Start 2021 on the Right Foot
26 Jan 2021
UGI urges you to take several simple steps to ensure proper operation of natural gas-fired equipment and appliances to prevent a build-up of carbon monoxide (CO) inside your home this winter heating season.
CO can be caused by malfunctioning heating systems or appliances as well as damaged or blocked vents and chimneys. CO is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that is a by-product of the incomplete combustion of fuels such as wood, charcoal, gasoline, kerosene, oil, natural gas and propane.
Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. CO poisoning is serious and can be fatal. Individuals who think they might be experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning should immediately seek fresh air and prompt medical attention.
Here are some steps you can take to help ensure your safety:
- Ensure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order and appropriately located within living spaces.
- Have a qualified professional check your furnace, water heater, and other internal combustion appliances to ensure the safe operation of your equipment at the start of each season.
- Check your chimney or flue for damage or corrosion. Look for black stains on the outside of your chimney or flue, which can indicate a blockage.
- Check that both internal and external combustion air vents are unobstructed.
- Change or clean furnace filters regularly.
For more information visit www.ugi.com/cosafety.