Resources for Customer Generation
Small Generator Interconnection Process
The Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (Commission) has established uniform standards for the interconnection of small distributed customer-generators (5MW or less) to the electric distribution system. These standards identify the specific steps, timelines and technical requirements that must be met by both the electric distribution company (UGI) and the facility owner (customer-generator) to process and interconnect a distributed generator. In addition, the Commission has issued regulations identifying metering requirements for distributed generators that qualify as a Tier I or Tier II alternate energy source.
Interconnection Review Levels
The Commission has defined screening criteria and timelines for specific review levels based on the type, size and complexity of the proposed interconnection request. As required the standards established by the Commission will be used to evaluate and process each interconnection request. The basic review levels are identified the table.
UGI System Upgrade
|Level 1||Inverter Based Interconnection||10kW or less||Yes||No facility upgrades required||N/A|
|Level 2||Inverter Based Interconnection||5MW or less||Yes||No facility upgrades required*||Not approved under the Level 1 review|
|Level 3||Non-inverter Based||5MW or less||No||Facility upgrades may be necessary||Not qualified or not approved under the Level 1 or 2 review|
|Level 4||No Export Capability||5MW or less||N/A||No facility upgrades required||Does not qualify for a Level 1 or 2 review|
*Except as permitted by an additional review under the standard small generator agreement.
Each subsequent level requires additional analysis and review to ensure a safe and reliable interconnection. UGI will make a determination and assign the project to the appropriate review level based on the screening criteria.
All interconnection requests reviewed under this process are subject to the following general requirements:
- Small generator facilities shall be capable of being isolated from the UGI system by means of a lockable, visible-break isolation device accessible by UGI. The isolation device shall be installed, owned and maintained by the owner of the small generation facility and located between the small generation facility and the point of interconnection. A draw-out type circuit breaker with a provision for padlocking at the draw-out position can be considered an isolation device for purposes of this requirement.
- An interconnection customer may elect to provide UGI access to an isolation device that is contained in a building or area that may be unoccupied and locked or not otherwise readily accessible to UGI, by installing lockbox provided by UGI that shall provide ready access to the isolation device. The interconnection customer shall install the lockbox in a location that is readily accessible by UGI and the interconnection customer shall permit UGI to affix a placard in a location of its choosing that provides clear instructions to UGI operating personnel on access to the isolation device.
- The owner of the distributed generator is responsible for the cost of any facility upgrades required for the interconnection of a distributed generator to the electric distribution system.
Interconnection requests may be submitted by existing UGI electric service customers or an interconnection customer that is not currently a UGI customer but can provide proof of site control within the UGI service territory.
Anyone interested in submitting an interconnection application must request the following applications from [email protected], based on review level prior to installation.
Level 1 Review
- UGI Interconnection Application/Agreement – Part 1
- Deposit of non-refundable application fee
Level 2, 3 or 4 Review
- UGI Interconnection Application for Level 2, 3 or 4 Review
- UGI Level 2, 3 or 4 Interconnection Agreement
- Deposit of non-refundable application fee
- Customer-generators that qualify for Net Metering may also complete and submit the Net Energy Metering Rider – Application for Service. Learn more about General Metering Provisions.
Once you have completed the application, please email a scanned copy back to [email protected] or mail a paper copy to: Attn: DG Interconnection – Electric – Empire A2, 511 East Northampton Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711.
Following installation and the successful completion of the appropriate reviews, inspections and Witness Test, the following must be completed:
- Level 1 Review: UGI Interconnection Application/Agreement – Part 2, Certificate of Completion
- Level 2, 3 or 4 Review: Certificate of Completion
Request applications & Information:
Requests for applications/agreements and inquiries regarding the interconnection of generation to the UGI transmission or distribution system should be directed to DG Interconnection – Electric at [email protected]. All terms and conditions will be sent to you with applications.
Our business hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm.
Interconnection Request should be submitted to the following address:
Attn: DG Interconnection – Electric – Empire A2
511 East Northampton Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711
You can also email application to: