Consider purchasing a smoke carbon monoxide detector.
Cold weather is here and as the number of carbon monoxide (CO) incidents have begun to rise, UGI urges customers to take steps to ensure proper operation of natural gas-fire equipment and appliances to prevent a build-up of CO inside homes and work spaces.
What is carbon monoxide (CO)?
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that is a by-product of the incomplete combustion of fuels such as wood, charcoal, gasoline, kerosene, oil, natural gas and propane. Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness.
What can you do to stay safe this winter season?
- UGI encourages all customers to properly maintain their natural gas appliances. A malfunctioning furnace, boiler, water heater or stove can emit CO into a home. In addition, damaged or rusted exhaust vents, chimneys and flues can result in high levels of CO migrating into living spaces.
- Customers are also urged to ensure that both internal and external combustion air vents are unobstructed. Vents can become blocked by vegetation or animal nest materials during the warm weather months, and it’s important to clear any debris or other obstructions away from vents prior to winter.
- Customers should ensure that equipment rooms or utility spaces are properly sized and provide appropriate levels of ventilation and air circulation around heating equipment and appliances to ensure their safe operation. Be aware that enclosing furnaces and water heaters in small rooms during remodeling or renovation can reduce air flow and create a potentially unsafe situation.
What are the signs of carbon monoxide?
- Significant condensation on walls and windows;
- House plants dying;
- House pets becoming sluggish;
- Chronic odors from a malfunctioning appliance;
- Residents in the home suffering flu-like symptoms or feeling unusually tired.
Carbon monoxide can be fatal. Individuals who think they may be experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning should immediately seek fresh air and prompt medical attention. For more safety tips, visit us online at www.ugi.com/safety.