Stay Safe from CO This Winter
04 Oct 2022
As residents across UGI’s service territory begin using heating equipment in response to cooler temperatures, UGI urges customers to take several simple steps to ensure proper operation of natural gas and other fuel-burning equipment and appliances to prevent a build-up of carbon monoxide (CO) inside homes and workspaces.
CO is an odorless, tasteless, colorless, toxic gas produced by incomplete burning of fuels due to malfunctioning heating units or other fuel-burning appliances. Use the following tips to stay safe this winter:
- Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage, or less than 20 feet from any window, door, or vent.
- Never run a car in the garage, even if the garage door is open. If you have a keyless vehicle, turn off the ignition after parking in an enclosed space.
- Have your furnace, water heater, and any other fuel-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
- Do not install fuel-burning equipment in a confined space with improper ventilation and air flow.
- If your CO detector goes off, immediately move everyone (including pets) outside to fresh air and call 911 or UGI at 800-276-2722. If you don’t already have a CO detector, consider purchasing one. Visit NFPA.org for information about CO detectors
Visit www.ugi.com/GasSafety for more safety tips.