Emergency Information
Have an Emergency?

Smell gas or have a power outage?

Please call us at


What You Need To Know About CO

03 Oct 2023

As residents across UGI’s service territory begin to use heating equipment more frequently in response to cooler temperatures, UGI urges you to take several simple steps to ensure proper operation of natural gas-fired equipment and appliances to prevent a build-up of carbon monoxide (CO) inside your home.

CO is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that is a byproduct of the incomplete combustion of fuels such as wood, charcoal, gasoline, kerosene, oil, natural gas, and propane. CO can be caused by malfunctioning heating systems or appliances as well as damaged or blocked vents and chimneys.

Signs of a CO build-up in your home include:

  • Significant condensation on walls and windows;
  • House pets becoming sluggish;
  • Residents in the home suffering flu-like symptoms, such as headache, nausea, dizziness, and fatigue;
  • Chronic odors from a malfunctioning appliance.

While CO is odorless, the malfunctioning appliance can emit a sooty or smoky smell. CO poisoning is serious and can be fatal. Individuals who think they might be experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning should immediately seek fresh air and prompt medical attention.

Simple steps to help ensure your safety:

  • Make sure working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are appropriately located and the batteries are fresh.
  • An annual check and service of your heating system and appliances will help ensure the safe operation of your equipment.
  • Change or clean furnace filters regularly.
  • If the heating equipment in your home is not working because of an electric power outage, never use an open oven or grill inside your home to provide heat.
  • Use caution when using space heaters. Always follow manufacturer’s directions regarding the use of these heaters.
  • Check your chimney or flue for damage or corrosion. Black stains on the outside of your chimney or flue can indicate a blockage.

For more safety information, visit www.ugi.com/natural-gas-safety/carbon-monoxide.