Advantages of Natural Gas
Natural gas from UGI is an efficient source of energy that is reliable, easy to use and easy on the environment. The cost stays low and stable, because it is a “home-grown” energy, with 96% of the natural gas consumption in the U.S. being produced within this country.
It’s the energy that lets you do more. View our video that guides you through the benefits and process of converting your home to clean, affordable and abundant Natural Gas.
Natural Gas Is Abundant
Natural gas is one of the most abundant and widely available domestically produced resources in the United States. In particular, the Marcellus Shale continues to help keep the supply of natural gas plentiful. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, in 2013, approximately 67% of the dry natural gas produced in the U.S. came from only five states. Pennsylvania, located in the Marcellus region, was the second largest contributing state behind Texas.
Learn more about Marcellus Shale
- The name of the shale formation comes from an outcrop near the town of Marcellus, New York.
- The Marcellus resource, which geologists estimate was formed about 365 million years ago, is a unit of marine sedimentary rock. It is black, low-density organic rich shale that lies about 6,000 feet beneath the surface in much of upstate New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia.
- The Marcellus Shale varies in depth; but, in Pennsylvania, it is found between 3,000 and 9,000 feet below ground – more than a mile deep. It also is located in small parts of Maryland, Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia.
- Up to 400 trillion cubic feet of recoverable natural gas lies within (1 Tcf heats 15 million homes/year)
- UGI supports the safe and environmentally responsible production of natural gas from Marcellus Shale. We believe these reserves benefit our customers, communities and environment.
- UGI is working with natural gas producers and pipeline operators to forge partnerships in developing and expanding a transportation/distribution infrastructure for bringing natural gas safely extracted from the Marcellus into Company and other northeastern and Mid-Atlantic markets.
Natural Gas Is Affordable
Natural gas saves you money. On average, customers who heat with natural gas save hundreds of dollars per year over oil or electric. For customized annual cost comparisons for natural gas versus other fuels, refer to UGI’s home heating calculator.
Learn more about the affordability of natural gas
- Historically, natural gas has had more price stability than oil.
- You only pay for the energy you use, after you use it. To make gas even more affordable, we offer a budget billing plan, allowing you to space out your payments throughout the year.
Natural Gas Is Clean
Natural gas is the cleanest fossil fuel. When used for water and space heating, cooking and clothes drying, natural gas creates about 30% fewer greenhouse gas emissions than using electric.
Learn more about clean natural gas
- Annual carbon emissions are reduced by 66% by switching from oil heat to natural gas; 166% by switching from electric heat to natural gas.
- Coal and oil, when combusted, release higher levels of harmful emissions, including carbon, nitrogen oxides and sulfur dioxide.
- The main products of combustion – CO2 and water vapor – are the same compounds we exhale when we breathe.
- According to the Site vs. Source measure of efficiency, which measures efficiency from the point of production (i.e. natural gas wellhead) to the site (i.e. natural gas burner tip in your kitchen), 93% of the natural gas produced is delivered to the customer as usable energy (compared to 32% of energy used to generate electricity from coal).
- Provides critical back-up to intermittent energy sources, such as wind and solar.
- Improves air quality in the home.