Natural Gas For Home Heating
Value Meets Comfort
On average, half of your home’s energy costs are spent on heating. Natural gas heating systems cost less to operate than other fuels. Regardless of where you live, natural gas is the most economical choice. That is why the majority of home buyers across the country choose natural gas.
Breathe easier when you choose natural gas:
- Comfort: Heat from a natural gas furnace or boiler feels warm and cozy. That’s because the air is approximately 25 degrees warmer than the heat produced by an electric heat pump.
- Efficiency: Today’s gas furnaces are up to 98% efficient. Oil heating systems, by contrast, can reach maximum efficiency levels of only 87%.
- Cost: In most areas, a high-efficiency gas furnace costs up to 60% less to operate than a standard oil heating system and up to 40% less than an electric heat pump or electric furnace.
- Reliability: Natural gas furnaces are highly durable. On average, a natural gas furnace will last six years longer than an electric heat pump and five years longer than an oil furnace.
- Value: Natural gas furnaces and boilers do not require expensive back-up or supplemental systems. For a personalized, instant report on how much you’ll save with natural gas, visit our Home Heating Savings Calculator.
- Clean: Natural gas is the cleanest-burning fossil fuel available. That means it’s better for the environment than heating oil, electricity, or wood. Compared to an electric heat pump or electric furnace, a natural gas heating system emits up to 65% less carbon, reduces nitrous oxide emissions by up to 81%, and virtually eliminates sulfur oxide emissions.